Monday, July 17, 2006

Nothing We Cannot Handle




















I have a friend who suffers with chronic pain. She is in constant pain and discomfort, having surgeries and health issues I for one would have a very hard time dealing with. But through it all she has always been optimistic, cheerful and never without the ability to praise the Lord. Even with all the things she is suffering with in her life.

Recently in a conversation we had over the phone we were talking about certain events that have happened in my life over the last few months.

I had told her that through certain circumstances beyond my control we had lost everything we owned. I had told her I looked at it this way. " The Lord gives and the Lord takes away" and material things are just that...Material things. Even though I at times, grieve over the lose of things like pictures, cards I had saved over the years, and my wedding things. I finally came to the conclusion that if I were to die today, I could not take these things with me, and once I get to heaven those things will not be important.

My friend told me she couldn't believe how well I was accepting this and that with all the stuff I have been through there must be something special waiting for me in heaven.... Me?

All I could think was....

This awesome inspiring woman is living with constant considerable pain, she has been through surgeries, can no longer do things she loves without pain and still remains joyful and full of faith in the Lord. I would not be able to cope with the kinds of things she has gone through. When I had a problem with my back a couple months ago, the pain was so bad I prayed for God to just take me, the idea of living with constant pain and being unable to care for myself was not something I wanted to live with.

I admire this woman and believe the Lord will have a special reward waiting for her. For the suffering she has and is living through on a daily basis. For her concern with the feelings and happiness of others above herself.

Even with all the things she is dealing with she never fails to ask how I am doing and trying to encourage me as well as all those in her life. For her to tell me I am doing something that seemed inspiring and amazing to her just blew me away. It had a very humbling affect on my heart.

It also made me realize that the Lord knows which of his children can handle certain trials and those who can't. What one person may be going through seems harder to someone else than what they might be going through. The Lord never gives us anything we cannot handle it....and if a trial or a test comes into our life it is only because the Lord knows we can handle it ...with His help.

We never know what others may be facing, but I believe the trials and hardships each of us face on occasion are there that our faith might shine through and be an example to someone who is struggling. The Lord is much more concerned with our attitudes in the face of trials than He is in the trial's themselves. To be willing to offer a sacrifice of praise and worship even if we may not feel like it is more precious to Him than all the good works we could even begin to do.

To be able as Job did to say, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Blessed be the name of the Lord." That is the kind of witness and testimony unbelievers need to see from those of us who claim the name of Christ.




No comments: