Friday, December 01, 2006

Spiritual Lessons through Shoveling Snow?

We got lots of snow today and I was going to for the first time, try using the snowblower the kids have in the garage. Since they are living between here and Indiana, they are only home every three weeks or so until this house in Belding sells. So it was up to me to clear the driveway and sidewalks.

I could NOT get the blower to start so I shoveled instead, took a good two hours to do the driveway and sidewalks...You would think after doing that I would have a little less appreciation for the snow...But I still love it.

When I began shoveling and looked at how long the driveway seemed, both sides with sidewalks needing to be done and all that snow, it almost seemed overwhelming, but when I began to just focus on one section at a time, it did not seem like such a big task.

It was then I realized the Lord was showing me something really awesome...no matter how big a job (problem) looks if you keep your focus on taking just that one little step at a time (keep your eyes on Jesus), keep shoveling along :-) before you know it that problem does not seem so big any more. Once you realize we can do all things through Christ, and all He expects us to do is to trust Him (keep focused) and nothing is impossible.

Another truth I realized is sometimes the Lord doesn't show us His whole plan or answer all our questions for this simple reason - if we saw the whole picture of what we might be facing or what trial we might have to endure, or how long something may take to happen, we might get discouraged and give up (or fall into some temptation).

So- He will only show us what we need to know to take that one step (of faith) at a time, to keep us focused on today instead of fretting about tomorrow. Which reminds me of how Jesus told us to pray... "Our Father who is in Heaven, Holy is your Name, You kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread..."

Did ya catch that??? Daily bread...not weekly, not monthly not yearly...DAILY.

Take it one day at a time, one step at a time and keep the focus on the Jesus and the task at hand. I love it how only the Lord could take something as menial as shoveling snow and turn it into a spiritual lesson, a blessing and a reason to Thank Him... We just have to be willing to look for those lessons and blessings in every thing our day might bring.

Call me weird, but I am actually thankful to the Lord I couldn't get that stupid blower to start :-)

No comments: