Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Would You Want to Know?

Last Wednesday I tuned in to watch Oprah because Tyler Perry was a guest, along with Janet Jackson. Oprah was talking to them about Tyler's movie, "Why Did I Get Married?" A movie I can't wait to see by the way. I've seen the stage play and it was great.

Because Janet's character is a counselor, Oprah asked her if she's ever in real life had friends she knew were cheating on a spouse and how did she handle the situation. (The movie is about four couples who spend a week together in the mountains, and one of the couples is having an affair)
Janet's reply was yes, and that she had lost a friendship over it.


She knew the couple and also knew the woman the man was having the affair with, but she felt it was the man's responsibility to "man up" as she put it and confess to his wife. Apparently she had told the man and the woman he was cheating with she knew about the affair. When the wife did find out, not from the husband by the way, she was very angry her friends knew what was going on but did not tell her.

So I have decided to do a poll. If you are married and your spouse was having an affair would you want to know? If others knew about it would you want them to tell you?

There are some women and even men who have said they would not want to know about it, using the old "what you don't know can't hurt you" idea.
I disagree with that.


If anyone knew my husband was cheating I WOULD want to be told. Especially being a christian, it's not just the idea it is wrong, but the person doing the cheating is in danger of losing more than just his or her marriage. It's a soul thing above all else.

What you don't know can and will eventually hurt you. Biblically speaking just as I wrote in my last blog, if someone is involved in "sin" those who know about it are told to confront the person and try to convince them to confess and repent of the behavior. If that person refuses to listen, then we are to take it to the elders of the church.

Aside from this, I want to know how people feel about this. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If your spouse was cheating...

Would you want to be told? I know I would!

No comments: