Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Be Prepared

In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. John 14:2


On a tombstone in England are inscribed the words, "Pause now, stranger, when you pass by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you will be. So prepare for death and follow me."

Someone was seen reading that tombstone and was overheard to say, "To follow you is not my intent, until I know which way you went."

Death is no respecter of persons. It doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor, elderly or young. Everyone has to face death.

British novelist William Boyd wrote, "We all want to be happy, and we are all going to die. . . . You might say that these are the only two unchallengeably true facts that apply to every human being on this planet."

The Bible says in Amos 4:12, "Prepare to meet your God." Are you ready? None of us know when death will come knocking on our door. Are your affairs in order? I'm not referring to a will.

Rather, I'm asking whether you are prepared for eternity. Heaven is a prepared place for prepared people. Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:2).

Are you ready to go there? The only way to have the hope of forgiveness and the hope of heaven is to receive the gift of eternal life that Jesus Christ bought for you. He purchased it with His own blood.

You can't buy it with your own money, with good works, with religion, or morality. You have to take the gift that Jesus has made available to you and be ready to go.

Death is unavoidable. But only those who are prepared to die are really prepared to live.

Greg Laurie-Harvest Church Daily devotion.

No comments: