Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Newspaper Years


There are times like the last couple of days when I just feel like writing something, yet seem to be unable to focus on just one thing. With so many things going on in the world and in my family trying to narrow down one subject can be impossible. I have always seemed to get "inspired" in the middle of the night but have decided getting up at 2 a.m. just isn't something I want to do now.  
I use to work at a weekly newspaper when I lived in California. I loved that job, I learned so many things about newspapers, and how they are put together, although 15 years later I'm sure it's a lot more technically advanced than it was. We use to lay the paper out by hand, printing the editorial stuff, the photos and the advertisements. Each piece was laid out on boards in the back of our office, headlines were measured and placed, and all content was laid out before us. Each person in our small office was responsible to proof all copy. The more eyes on it the better usually. If someone missed a mistake chances are the next person looking at it would find it. Although there were a few times mistakes were missed.  
We had a New baby section, Obituaries section, Engagement and wedding section and a Police Report section. The last one always seemed to generate phone calls from people who had been arrested or the family members of those arrested, calling to complain and in a few instances make personal threats against our Editor or our entire staff. It did make for some exciting times, well maybe exciting isn't the appropriate word.  
One week when everyone was exhausted from trying to meet our deadline, I walked into the office to open up as was my routine. The answering machine was loaded with message, not usually a good sign. Apparently our graphics art/photographer placed the Obit headline over a Birth announcement! Not good! We of course apologized and then gave the family a quarter page birth announcement to make up for it. 
When I got the job at the paper, which was called "The Lincoln News Messenger", I had not worked in about 10 years. I had been busy raising kids and four years of that time was when we lived at the Cabin. I had just recently learned to type and work with word processing programs. When we had moved to Lincoln, Ca I had read the local paper once or twice but thought it was kind of wimpy; meaning it at that time was mostly fluff news. Anyway, on one of the days I had bought the paper I decided to check out the classified section. There was a help wanted ad for receptionist at the paper. I decided what the heck I'll apply and see what happens. At the time I really needed a job because my husband at the time worked seasonal and had drug addiction issues so we needed the money. 
I applied and got called in for an interview. The Publisher at the time was Stacy, I met with her and the then Editor Ellen. (I think that was her name). They asked me how fast I could type and then why I wanted the job and why I should get the job. I told them I had always wanted to work at a newspaper, that I would be a hard worker, learned things quickly and would be a loyal employee. They asked me to type up a small classified ad and then print it. Because I had just learned Microsoft word I had no problem remembering how to print. What threw me was I did not know the printer was in the back of the office so when I hit print I thought I had done it wrong..lol Stacy told me months later that the reason I got the job was because out of all the people they interviewed I was the ONLY one who knew how to print!
Stacy told me they would like to offer me the position but that I should know what the job actually entailed first. I would be responsible for typing up and proofing classified ads, answering the phones, helping to proof editorial copy, enter subscribers into the data base, make some inside sales for display advertising, making deposits, and helping with the paper layout on Tuesday evenings to get the paper off to the printer by Wednesday morning for Thursday's delivery. I was also responsible for measuring the advertisement versus editorial content on Thursday mornings to determine cost of postage for the papers that were mailed out. A paper has to have a certain percentage of advertising in relation to editorial content. 
At first I thought, wow can I actually handle all this? But then I decided OK if the good Lord allowed me to get this job then He knows I can handle it, and if He knows I can handle it, then I can handle it. Stacy told me I would start the next morning, which just happened to be Tuesday, deadline day.  As we were walking into the office that morning Stacy told me she hoped I was not offended by swearing but Tuesdays were pretty crazy and I would probably hear quite a bit. I told her, "no it doesn't bother me". I mean I had a husband who was a truck driver and had a horrible mouth! 
She was not kidding about the language that flew through the office that morning! It was crazy but incredibly interesting to watch them all work. My job that first morning was to make sure they were not disturbed while they were getting the paper together, especially the editor. I was also told to make sure anything that came over the fax machine was priority because there were display adds coming from the graphics department of our parent paper that needed to be proofed and if needed corrected. 
It was pretty exciting. It was also pretty stressful at times. Like I said the police reports usually brought a few threats sometimes of a lawsuit, which there was no leg to stand on because arrest reports are public information, and occasionally we or I should say our editor got a couple of death threats or threats of violence. 
I was employed at the News Messenger for four years, during those four years I learned almost every aspect of getting out a local paper. I added to my job description taking occasional photographs, writing a column once in a while, inside and outside sales for special insert features, I covered a City Hall meeting, did the "man on the street" column and photos and got to be pretty good at the whole manual lay-out of the paper. By the time I left four years later that aspect was gone and it was all done by computer along with every body that had originally worked there when I started. 
I loved Stacy, she was an awesome person and a great boss. Because my self-esteem was so low at that time, which is pretty common when you have been in an abusive marriage for 10 or 12 years, I was terrified of making a mistake! I just knew the first mistake would find me unemployed. 
I had been there a few weeks, Stacy had shown me how to measure ads and briefly went over the cost per inch as well as how to determine the cost of running an ad for a period of time. Display ads were sold by inch whereas classifieds were sold based on work count. Anyway, I was a lone in the office one afternoon and a customer came in. He was actually a repeat customer who was already familiar with how things worked. He asked me to give him some pricing on a display ad he wanted to place. I told him Stacy was not in the office and I was very new at doing this type of thing. He insisted I try to figure it out for him because he was in a hurry. I measured out the size ad he would need and told him what I thought the cost was, I also told him I did not know how accurate it was and that he really needed to talk to Stacy before we did the ad. He kept insisting so I wrote it up and took the order. When Stacy got back I told Stacy about the order she looked it over and I had seriously under charged the guy. She had to call him back and tell him we would not do the ad for that price. She was more irritated with the man who placed the ad because he knew what I told him wasn't correct but thought he could get away with it. I thought for sure I was going to be fired! 
After Stacy got off I told her how sorry I was and that I had tried to explain to the guy I was not sure about what I was telling him. All she said to me was, " Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and you F---ed up, just don't do it again." That was all she said. I was thinking wow...she didn't fire me. Working there had a huge affect on helping me overcome my insecurity and low opinion of myself. Everyone in our office was supportive of one another and more than willing to help and teach me whatever I showed interest in learning. And I was interested in learning EVERYTHING! 

No comments: